This 8.5" t. vase was made in 1930 by Cowan Pottery (Rocky River, Ohio--a Cleveland suburb).
The glaze in this instance is one of a kind, as far as the Cowan Pottery Museum and collectors group can tell. The under color is bright Daffodil Yellow. Onto that was airbrushed a glaze called Azure, which is a speckled mixture of turquoise b ...click for details
This 5.5" t. x 5.5" vase was made in 1940 as part of a WPA era training program that taught young American Indian women the trade of making pottery from molds. The motifs were based on traditional Native American designs and a semi-matte maroon or dark red glaze, reminiscent of Van Briggle, was used.
This 8-5/8" t. vase is attributed to AETCO (Zanesville, Ohio). The rutile glaze forms a textural and crystalline surface and is known to be used by them during the last few years. The weight and clay body are consistent with their tile-making too.
The shape is clearly related to tile also and must date to 1929, when Roseville Futura, ...click for details
During 1929 and early 1930, the internationally renowned sculptor Alexander Archipenko taught ceramics classes in New York. The works of his students are well designed, but exceptionally rare. They bear an ARKO logo (using letters from his surname). Some examples have the designer's name ...click for details
About 7" t. No marks, other than the raised name of the designer, F.J. Moody, along the edge of the base.
This piece was designed by Francis Moody in 1929, while she was enrolled at Ohio State University. Her husband Leslie (Les) Moody was majoring in ceramics there. In 1931 they were both employed by Abingdon (Illinois), where this p ...click for details
About 3.25" sq. Despite the dark photo, the logo is in blue, against a "French ivory" or cream-colored background.
This unusual and rare advertising piece was made by General Ceramics, a New York / New Jersey company that made sanitary porcelain until the Depression. Afterward, they ventured into artware (like Abingdon, Chas ...click for details
About 5" t. x 6.5" (across the top, to edge of handle).
Extremely rare and early Roseville design, on an otherwise undocumented shape. This line was called Blue Porcelain by the early authors, although it is made of pottery too, like the other products. ...click for details
This 5.5" t. figurine is a 1930s design by the renowned Mississippi artist Walter Inglis Anderson. The Shearwater Pottery is family-owned and -operated, since 1928, and the WIA designs are still in production, made from molds and individually hand-decorated.
He is comical, despite his attempt to look ferocious and the blue hair of leg ...click for details