A superb pair of pistols, made by Wilson in London for the US market (for export to the USA), ca. 1760-1770.
These pistols were converted to percussion from flint at the time of it's first use or in the making. Percussion pistols were rapidly spreading on behalf of the older flintlocks at the time of the making of these fine pistols. Americans favored brass barrels at the time, thus these were made for export to the US market.
The lock plates are script marked "Wilson", with 'London" marked on the brass smooth bore barrel. The left side of the barrels has three British makers marks near the breechs, RW for Robert Weehler and London proof marks. The action and light engraved upper tang are iron and the buttcap, side plate thumb shield, ramrod pipes and trigger guard are silver. Four silver hallmarks are stamped on the trigger guards together with floral motif and an ornate finial. The side plate features a military motif. The ornate sterling silver buttcap features a grotesque face and the ornate thumb shield features a military symbol topped with a crested helmet. Smooth full length stock with a craving behind the upper tang and a flared butt. Complete with horn tips on the wooden ramrods - a very nice little detail.
Size: ca. 32 cm.
Condition: Choice! No damage or visible signs or any other issues. Mecanisms are nice and tight. Finely patinated and not cleaned recently. Metal is in very nice condition. Some light even wear and polish, but even the smaller details stands out rather sharp on these pistols, and considering the age of the pair, we must conclude that these are in really excellent condition.
An almost identical set of Wilson flintlock pistols - but with some smaller repairs - were sold at auction at iCollector.com in December 2010 for $12.000 hammer.