This original watercolor on heavy watercolor paper measures 15 by 22 inches, unframed and unmounted.
It is signed, Ruth Ann Younglove in the lower right corner (see photo).
Most of her paintings, done with transparent watercolors, depict Southern California landscapes. She was a school teacher for many years and also did work as a print maker. This information is based on an interview with her in 1983 – The Watercolor Style - McClelland 1985.
It is in excellent condition, with remnants of an old mounting on the reverse.
Many old watercolors were mounted in non archival mats or backings and must be changed to protect them from eventual staining or foxing. This watercolor is in excellent condition, but was removed from an old non archival mount before any staining could occur on the watercolor itself.
Artist Biography: Ruth Ann Younglove (1909-2002)
Born in Chicago, Illinois, she became a resident of Pasadena, California where she lived and worked for many years. She studied at UCLA and took private lessons from Marion Wachtel and Orrin White. She also studied with Bessie Ella Hazen, Helen Chandler, and Belle Whitice. She was the wife of B. R. Loxley and a resident of Pasadena until her death on Jan. 17, 2002.
1. Davenport's Art Reference and Price Guide -The Gold Edition 2005
2. The Artists Bluebook: 34000 North American Artists to March 2005
3. Hughes’ Artists in California 1786-1940
4. Who Was Who In American Art (1564-1975) (3 vol.) (Falk) (1999)
Also in earlier WWAA editions (1993, 1986)
5. Encyclopedia of Women Artists of the American West (Kovinick)
6. California Watercolors (1850-1970) (McClelland and Last)
7. The California Style California Watercolor artists 1925-1955 (McClelland)
Member: California Watercolor Society, Pasadena Society of Artists, LAAA, Laguna Beach Art Association
Exhibitions: LA Co. Fairs, 1936-41 (awards). WWAA 1936-62; California Art &Artists; Invw; KOV. RT:
Ruth Ann Younglove is also listed on Askart.com (an art auction and research website): (http://www.askart.com/askart/y/ruth_ann_younglove/ruth_ann_younglove.aspx)