1940's Impressionist Oil __Mission San Gabriel
browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Fine Art: Paintings: Oil: N. America: American: Pre 1940: Item # 737174
PO Box 480
Bonsall, California 92003
Contact us at:
This original oil painting on canvas laid down on board measures 12 by 16 inches, and it is mounted in an original carved and gilded frame which measures 16 by 20 inches.
It is unsigned and in excellent condition.
We estimate it to date circa 1930-1940.
The subject is the San Gabriel Mission which has numerous Moorish or Spanish architectural motifs.
It is painted in a loose, impressionist style with very bright, almost Fauve colors.
The Mission San Gabriel Arcángel is a fully functioning mission and also an historic landmark in San Gabriel, California.
It was founded by Spaniards of the Franciscan Order on "The Feast of the Birth of Mary" (September 8) in 1771.
The Mission often referred to as the "Godmother of the Pueblo of Los Angeles," was designed by Father Antonio Cruzado (who hailed from Córdoba, Spain, which accounts for the strong Moorish influence).
In 1776, a flash flood destroyed much of the crops and ruined the Mission complex, which was subsequently relocated five miles closer to the mountains in present-day San Gabriel (the native settlement of 'Iisanchanga).
The Mission is the base from which the pueblo that became the City of Los Angeles, California was sent. On December 8, 1812 (the "Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin") a series of massive earthquakes shook Southern California. The 1812 Wrightwood Earthquake caused the three-bell campanario, located adjacent to the chapel's east façade, to collapse. A larger, six-bell structure was subsequently constructed at the far end of the capilla.
Legend has it that the founding expedition was confronted by a large group of native Shoshone peoples whose intention was to drive the strangers away. One of the padres laid a painting of "Our Lady of Sorrows" on the ground for all to see, whereupon the natives (known to the settlers as the Gabrieliños) made peace with the missionaries, so moved were they by the painting's beauty. Today the 300-year-old painting hangs in the Mission's sanctuary.