Pair of Royal Dux Vase with Green Olive Motif
browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Decorative Art: Ceramics: French: Porcelain: Pre 1900: item # 776046
Please refer to our stock # 6992 when inquiring.
9031 West Olympic Blvd.
Beverly Hills, California 90211
|Beautiful 19th C. porcelain Royal Dux Art Noveau vase with green olive vine and leaf motif. The details of the vase have been picked out in shades of green and beige with applied Royal Dux pink pad mark. A Brief History of Royal Dux The factory was founded in 1853 and located in the Austrian town of dux now known as duchcov located north West of Prague in Czech Republic. The factory operated for a few years using raw materials from its surroundings producing utility ceramic‘s. In 1860 Eduard Eichler a experienced model-drawer turned the factory into E.Eichler Thonwaren-Fabrik. The company produced mainly terracotta, faience and majolica the designs were based on pieces from Copenhagen, Worcester and Sevres. In 1862 he also bought a small factory in Selty near Ceska Lipa. In 1878 the Eichler firm was awarded Silver Medal at the exhibition in Paris. Edward Eichler suffered a heart attack and died on January 1st 1887, his wife ‘Marie Amalie and his son Anton Franz Eichler took over ownership of the company. The private company still owned by the Eichler’s changed into a stock-holding company which in 1898 became to be known as Duxer Porzellan - Manufaktur, A-G with the main office in Berlin. The factory in Selty was liquidated . This new company then bought a porcelain factory (Porzellanfabrik Fasold & Eichel) in Blankenheim (Thuringia) near Weimar. The factory now started to produce porcelain, and also the traditional pieces. In 1900 the well known mark was used a pink triangle with ROYAL DUX BOHEMIA around an acorn. Beneath the acorn there is an E which stands for Eichler (acorn is used because Eichel means acorn).In the early 1900’s thanks to modeller Alois Hampel the factory was awarded the Grand Prix prize at the world exhibition in St Louis in 1904 and the silver medal at Milano in 1906 and the gold medal at the exhibition in Liberec, Bohemia. At this period the company employed 500 workers and the facility had five round kilns and seventeen muffle kilns as well as its own steam and power plant. Representatives were stationed in cities around Europe which was a solid base for international trade as products were mainly exported and the company had trade connections with all Europe, Russia, and even North America. The success of the company was disrupted by the First World War(1914-1918). Due to financial difficulties in 1918 the factory in Blankenheim Germany was sold. Due to financial difficulties the factory in Blankenhain had to be sold in 1918. From 1918 Bohemia, was joined with Moravia and Austrian Silesia to form the country Czechoslovakia which remained until December 31st 1992. Due to the import and export laws (agreement of 1891) whereby all exports must state their country of origin, so in 1918 the Made in Czechoslovakia mark was stamped on pieces. During the period between the two world wars the company’s production was low. However the company still managed to produce figurative and decorative porcelain based on already existing successful moulds. Since the late fifties manufactury of Duchov had started to regain its lost position on world markets. The collection of Prof. Jarolav Jezek, show at the world exhibition EXPO ‘58 in Brussels largely contributed to its success. In 1992, the name of the factory in Duchov was changed to Porcelain Manufactory Royal Dux Bohemia A.S and became an independent joint stock company again till the year 1997, when it became a member of the Czech Porcelain Group in the frame of the capital unification. Dimensions: 18.5"H x 7"W x 7"D|