A HERODIAN TERRACOTTA OIL LAMP FROM THE TIME OF CHRIST

A HERODIAN TERRACOTTA OIL LAMP FROM THE TIME OF CHRIST


browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Regional Art: Ancient World: Holy Land: Pottery: Pre AD 1000: Item # 1311566

Please refer to our stock # L.60 when inquiring.
Biblical Artifacts
View Seller Profile
at The Inbal Hotel, Liberty Bell Park, 3 Jabotinsky Street
P. O. Box 14646, Jerusalem 9114601, Israel
tel. 972 2 583 7606

Guest Book
 $380.00 
c. 37 BCE- 70 CE

This lamp is composed of a round, wheel-made body with a hand-made spatulated nozzle. When made, the two parts of the lamp were joined and the join was then smoothed over with a knife. This join is visible on the underside of the lamp. A raised ledge is present around the fill hole and the lamp is decorated with a red slip. Soot on the nozzle indicated use in antiquity.

In excellent condition with natural Holy Land patina present.

7.9 x 5.85 cm (3.11 x 2.3 inches)

Worldwide Shipping and Certificate of Authenticity Included in Price.

Export Approval from the Israel Antiquities Authority.

Bibliography:

Noam Adler, “A Comprehensive Catalog of Oil Lamps of the Holy Land from the Adler Collection”, (Old City Press: Israel, 2004).

******

Known as Herodian lamps because of its widespread use during the reign of Herod the Great in Israel (circa 37 BCE to 4 BCE). The type remained in use up to about AD 150 in some parts of the Holy Land, but is normally considered to have gone out of general use by AD 70. Although mainly confined to the Jerusalem area, they have also been found at Herodium, Masada, and other Jewish settlements in the region.

“Command the Israelites to bring you clear oil of pressed olives for the light so that the lamps may be kept burning continually. “ (Leviticus 24:2)