A HERODIAN TERRACOTTA OIL LAMP AND ALABASTRON
browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Regional Art: Ancient World: Holy Land: Pottery: Pre AD 1000: item # 663614
Please refer to our stock # P.801&L when inquiring.
45 Jaffa Gate, Opposite David Citadel Entrance
P. O. Box 14646, Jerusalem 9114601, Israel
tel. 972 2 583 7606
|Herodian Period; c. 37 BC – 70 AD. Wheel made oil lamp with circular body with raised rim around filling hole. Alabastron (ancient perfume bottle)wheel made using pale clay with exaggerated neck and everted rim. Found in Bethlehem. Both in very good and original condition. Lamp: 3.15 x .59 inches (8 x 1.5cms) Alabastron: 6.3 x .79 inches (16 x 2 cms) Custom Plexiglas stand, worldwide shipping and Certificate of Authenticity included in price. Export Approval from Israel Antiquities Authority. Bibliography: Noam Adler, “A Comprehensive Catalogue of Oil Lamps of the Holy Land from the Adler Collection”, (Old City Press: Israel, 2004). Stanislao Loffreda, “Holy Land Pottery at the Time of Jesus”, (Franciscan Press, 2003) ************ Known as the Herodian because of its widespread use during the reign of Herod the Great in Israel (circa 37 BC to 4 BC), this lamp was wheelmade with the spout applied by hand. Thus, every Herodian lamp is slightly different. The type remained in use up to about AD 150 in some parts of the Holy Land, but is normally considered to have gone out of general use by AD 70. Although mainly confined to the Jerusalem area, they have also been found at Herodian, Masada, and other Jewish settlements in the region.|