A HOLY LAND TERRACOTTA PILGRIM FLASK
browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Regional Art: Ancient World: Holy Land: Pottery: Pre AD 1000: item # 784760
Please refer to our stock # P.965 when inquiring.
45 Jaffa Gate, Opposite David Citadel Entrance
P. O. Box 14646, Jerusalem 9114601, Israel
tel. 972 2 583 7606
|Iron Age IIC; c. 800-586 B.C. A large twin-handle flask with wheel-like rounded body, handles from the narrow neck to shoulder, a thick, everted rim and three knobs under the handles. Concentric circle decoration on body. Found in Hebron. In very good condition. 12.5 inches (32 cms) Custom made plexiglas stand, worldwide shipping and Certificate of Authenticity included in price. Export Approval from Israel Antiquities Authority. Bibliography: Ruth, Amiran, “Ancient Pottery of the Holy Land”, (Rutgers University, 1970), p. 279. ******** Vessels of this type, usually made of earthenware, are known as pilgrim flasks due to the ease with which travellers on pilgrimages would carry their flasks tied to their belt.|