A JEWISH SAMARITAN TERRACOTTA OIL LAMP
browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Regional Art: Ancient World: Holy Land: Pre AD 1000: item # 793187
Please refer to our stock # L.194 when inquiring.
45 Jaffa Gate, Opposite David Citadel Entrance
P. O. Box 14646, Jerusalem 9114601, Israel
tel. 972 2 583 7606
|c. 4th-5th Century A.D. A mold made lamp of buff clay with red paint on the upper body, geometric decoration on rim, trench on nozzle and unbroken discus. Found in Samaria (Biblical Shomron). In very good and original condition. 3.7 x 2.4 x 1.38 inches (9.5 x 6.1 x 3.5 cm) Plexiglas stand, worldwide shipping and Certificate of Authenticity included in price. Export Approval from Israel Antiquities Authority. Bibliography: Qedem 8 , “Ancient Lamps in the Schloessinger Collection”, (Jerusalem, 1978) Noam Adler, “A Comprehensive Catalog of Oil Lamps of the Holy Land from the Adler Collection”, (Old City Press: Israel, 2004). ********* The lamp, in the form of a small clay bowl in which oil was burned, was the most common form of domestic lighting from very early times. As olive oil was plentiful in Palestine, this was the fuel normally used in lamps. “As thou shalt command the children of Yisra’el, that they bring pure olive oil beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always” (Exodus 27:20); the wick was usually made of flax. According to the Mishna, a much greater variety of oils was used for lighting during the Roman period, included oils extracted from sesame seeds, nuts, horseradish and vegetable resins: naptha (an inflammable oil, obtained by dry distillation of coal, shale, etc.) is also mentioned. .|