New York circa 1825, length 12 1/2 inches, weight 4.52 Troy ounces, monogrammed "M" in period script with flourishes. There is a slight abrasion above the initial, and some very minor scratches in bowl as shown in enlargements three and four but the overall condition is outstanding.
Maltby Pelletreau was the second generation of this illustrious silversmithing family. His partnership with Bennett and Cook lasted only three years, so the date range for this item is pleasantly narrow. Their workshop was in the Lower East Side, on Rose Street, the current location of the promenade leading to the Brooklyn Bridge.
Their work is well collected, with a tea set in the Brooklyn Museum, and a water pitcher in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The (Elias; father of Maltby) Pelletreau silver shop in Southampton is the "oldest continuously open shop in the Western Hemisphere," currently occupied by jeweler Eric Messin.