An art pottery deep plate by Edwin and Mary Scheier, incised with three faces on a glossy speckled brown and blue-green glaze. Circa 1960. Finely decorated and in mint condition. Size: 9 5/8 inches in diameter. Marked on the back side with an incised Scheier. Scheier Pottery was the result of a collaboration by the husband/wife team of ceramicists, Edwin Scheier and Mary Goldsmith. Edwin was responsible for the sculpture and design, while Mary 'threw' the pots. The couple met at a WPA project at the Big Stone Gap Federal Art Gallery in Virginia, and, after their marriage, accepted teaching positions in ceramics, in 1941, at the University of New Hampshire, in Durham, NH, where they produced their pottery for some twenty years. During their years in New Hampshire, the Scheiers visited Mexico on several occasions and found inspiration in the ancient designs of the Zapotec Indians, from both their archaeological remains and their current weavings. The Scheiers eventually moved to Oaxaca, Mexico, upon their retirement from UNH in 1960, where they studied the Oaxacan craft methods of the native American culture there. The native Mexican culture proved to have a great influence on their pottery designs, and they began to incorporate symbols of life and birth, Adam and Eve, and rebirth; womb-like motifs of people within people. Eventually the Scheiers moved back to the United States, settling in Green Valley, Arizona, where they resided until their deaths in 2007 (Mary) and 2008 Edwin). Their designs have been compared to those of Pablo Picasso and Paul Klee. Scheier Pottery can be found in the permanent collections of the Currier Museum of Art, the University of New Hampshire and Arizona State University.