A perfectly potted Daoguang famille rose dish, finely painted with a harbor scene depicting the Teng Wang Ge, a pavilion noted for its famous view located in Nanchang, the capital of Jiangxi province, on the banks of the Gan River 60 km south of the Yangtze River. The pavilion built in 653 AD by Li Yuanying was made famous in the poem "Teng Wang Ge Xu" written by the renowned poet of the Tang era, Wang Wei (701-763), also in a Preface to Teng Wang Pavilion by the artist Wang Buo. The pavilion had to be repaired every 40 years and it burnt down in 1926 and was finally rebuilt and reopened in 1989. The pavilion was named for the governor of the region, Teng Wang who commissioned its construction. Teng Wang (Li Yuanying) was the younger brother of the Emperor Tang Taizong, (Li Shimin), the founder of the Tang dynasty. On the base of the dish is a red Daoguang seal mark. The same mark is written in black on the front side of the dish.
Qing Dynasty, Daoguang Period (1821-1850) or the dish could also be a Daoguang marked Republican period dish.
Diameter: 21,1 cm.
Reference: See The Great Fortune, Chinese and Japanese Porcelain of the 19th and 20th Centuries, Georg Weishaupt, page 145, Plate 157.