TERRACOTTA BABOON BUST OF THE GOD THOTH
LATE PERIOD, 664 – 343 BC.
Here you find a ancient terracotta bust of the baboon of Thoth, represents the deity with crisp facial features. Also wearing the solar disc with Uraeus symbol. Thoth represented as a baboon would be the first to greet the rising sun in the early morning. He was the god of learning and wisdom and was represented as baboon and also as an ibis. Thoth was the god who invented writing and script and writing, as such was the the patron deity of Egyptian scribes. In a spell of the Book of the Dead he acted as the scribe of court of Justice presided over by Osiris. Measures 3 inches in height.
Provenance: Collected by Gustave Jéquier (1868-1946)
For reference see: "Egyptian Treasures from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo"., Tiradritti and Francesco (Editor) 1999, Harry N.
"Gods and Myths of Ancient Egypt"., Armour Robert A. 1986, The American University in Cairo Press.
Galleria Delvecchio .… “is pleased to present a collection of Egyptian antiquities assembled by the celebrated Swiss Egyptologist Gustave Jéquier. Jéquier was born in 1868 in Neuchatel. He first studied in Paris under Gaston Maspero (1846-1916) and later went to Berlin before joining the de Morgan expedition to Persia, during which time he contributed to the discovery and decipherment of the code of Hammurabi. Gustave Jéquier was a giant in the field of Egyptology whose contributions are far too numerous to list here. He is best know for his association with the French Institute in Cairo which enabled him to engage in seminal research at the pyramid site of the Old Kingdom. He also completed the work begun at Abydos by his Swiss compatriot, [Henri] Eduard Naville (1844-1926). The two are considered to be Switzerland’s most preeminent Egyptologists. One of Jéquier’s most important discoveries was the 13th Dynasty pyramid of Khendjer. He wrote extensively on his history of Egyptian architecture, and published on philology and religion as well. Gustave Jéquier died in 1946 in the city in which he was born, and most of his collection was acquired by the University of Basel. The works of art presented here were given to a sibling who emigrated to the US in the late 1940’s; the collection later passed to their daughter, Jéquier’s niece.”