HARPOCRATES THE CHILD GOD
GREEK-ROMAN PERIOD, 332 BC TO 395 AD.
Here you find a lovely terracotta figure of the child god Harpocrates. The figure which emphasizes his genitals may have served as protection from the evil eye, perhaps specifically for children. Child is adorned with headband and a wreath tied with a ribbon and surmounted by two large lotus buds. This figure is also has his left arm around a pot, like the cornucopia a symbol of abundance. Nice white pigment still present, with slight damage to the left foot. Head re-attached as shown. Great example and quality from a well provenanced collection! Measures 6.5 inches in height.
Provenance: Collected by Gustave Jéquier (1868-1946)
For reference see: "Hellenistic and Roman Terracottas from Egypt", László Török (L'ERMA, 1995)
Galleria Delvecchio .… “is pleased to present a collection of Egyptian antiquities assembled by the celebrated Swiss Egyptologist Gustave Jéquier. Jéquier was born in 1868 in Neuchatel. He first studied in Paris under Gaston Maspero (1846-1916) and later went to Berlin before joining the de Morgan expedition to Persia, during which time he contributed to the discovery and decipherment of the code of Hammurabi. Gustave Jéquier was a giant in the field of Egyptology whose contributions are far too numerous to list here. He is best know for his association with the French Institute in Cairo which enabled him to engage in seminal research at the pyramid site of the Old Kingdom. He also completed the work begun at Abydos by his Swiss compatriot, [Henri] Eduard Naville (1844-1926). The two are considered to be Switzerland’s most preeminent Egyptologists. One of Jéquier’s most important discoveries was the 13th Dynasty pyramid of Khendjer. He wrote extensively on his history of Egyptian architecture, and published on philology and religion as well. Gustave Jéquier died in 1946 in the city in which he was born, and most of his collection was acquired by the University of Basel. The works of art presented here were given to a sibling who emigrated to the US in the late 1940’s; the collection later passed to their daughter, Jéquier’s niece.”