TWO ANCIENT EGYPTIAN TERRACOTTA HEADS
LATE PERIOD TO PTOLEMAIC PERIOD, 664-30 B.C.
Two small terracotta heads of Harpokrates, one wearing an Atef crown and the other wearing the "youthful" customary sidelock. Both holding forefingers to their mouths and one holding the club of Herakles.
Harpokrates was the son of Osiris and Isis and was born in the papyrus marshes of Chemmis in the northern Delta. He was worshipped in many different forms throughout the Greek and Roman periods.
Children wore a special hairstyle during ancient Egyptian history, called the “side-lock" as in this example. The hair was shaved off except for a long lock of hair left on the side of the head. This was represented in hieroglyph as a symbol for depicting a child or a youth. Both boys and girls wore this hair style until puberty.
Provenance: Collected by Gustave Jéquier (1868-1946)
Galleria Delvecchio .… “is pleased to present a collection of Egyptian antiquities assembled by the celebrated Swiss Egyptologist Gustave Jéquier. Jéquier was born in 1868 in Neuchatel. He first studied in Paris under Gaston Maspero (1846-1916) and later went to Berlin before joining the de Morgan expedition to Persia, during which time he contributed to the discovery and decipherment of the code of Hammurabi. Gustave Jéquier was a giant in the field of Egyptology whose contributions are far too numerous to list here. He is best know for his association with the French Institute in Cairo which enabled him to engage in seminal research at the pyramid site of the Old Kingdom. He also completed the work begun at Abydos by his Swiss compatriot, [Henri] Eduard Naville (1844-1926). The two are considered to be Switzerland’s most preeminent Egyptologists. One of Jéquier’s most important discoveries was the 13th Dynasty pyramid of Khendjer. He wrote extensively on his history of Egyptian architecture, and published on philology and religion as well. Gustave Jéquier died in 1946 in the city in which he was born, and most of his collection was acquired by the University of Basel. The works of art presented here were given to a sibling who emigrated to the US in the late 1940’s; the collection later passed to their daughter, Jéquier’s niece.”