Here you find a dark green glazed ushabti of Padihor with a lappet-wig, a nicely modelled face with a beard and parallel hands in relief. The front is inscribed with incised hieroglyphs and the back, a blank pillar. Was broken above the foot and reattached. Tiny piece of faience missing on the top of the head. Measure 5 3/4 inches in height. Circa 30th Dynasty.
Provenance: Gustave Jequier (1868-1946)
Ex. Billy Jamieson (1954-2011)
The translation, Top to bottom, reading right to left:
1. to brighten the path (of) (with an extra 't' at the end under the snake, as though the scribe was not quite sure what he was writing)
2. the deceased (called, "The Osiris")
3. maybe a continuation of the title, though a bit odd. Literally it's part of Osiris ( the final sign is the 'god' determinative.)
4. Pa Di (the gift of)
5. "Hr"- Horus
6. (of) Mehen
9 & 10. Sat-r-bw. (Usually written as Sat-er-bu)
His mother's name ends on the foot of the shabti as the artist did not judge the space properly. This is certainly the same man whose two calcite canopic jars are in the Cairo Museum, possibly found at Meir before 1917. (Annales des Service, XVII, 1917) p.31-2.
The whole thing is typical of shabtis of this period: To brighten the path of the Osiris, Pa-di-Hor-Mehen, born of Saterbu.
Birrell, M., "Ushabtis in the Macquarie University Ancient History Teaching Collection", Bulletin of the Australian Centre for Egyptology, vol 2 (Sydney, 1991)
Janes, G., "Shabtis: A Private View" (Cybele, 2002)
Kaczmarczyk, A., "Ancient Egyptian Faience: an analytical survey of Egyptian faience from Predynastic to Roman times"
Kanawati, N., "The tomb and its significance in Ancient Egypt" (Giza, 1987)
Nicholson, P., "Egyptian Faience and Glass" (Buckinghamshire, 1993)
Petrie, W.M.F., "Shabtis" (London, 1935)
Schneider, H. D., "Shabtis" vols. 1-3 (Leiden, 1977)
Ranke, H., "Die Agyptischen Personannamen" vols. 1-2 (Holstein, 1935)
Shaw, I & Nicholson, P., "The British Museum Dictionary of Ancient Egypt" (Cairo, 2002)
Stewart, H., "Egyptian shabtis" (Buckinghamshire, 1995)