19th Century Walker & Hall Coin Silver Medallion Centerpiece inscribed "Mrs. L. Stein, From Her Friend Levy Stein, May 4th 1866" approximately 32 ounces or 907.184 g. From Sheffield England, Oval in shape with footed bowl and dual handles in the form of Swans. Two male figures wearing cap flank each side while medallion in center is composed of three figures adoring an Emperor while two dolphin swim below. Maker's mark on reverse. In very good condition. 7" h x 15" l x 10 1/2" w. According to silverconnection.it, the business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker. Becoming an assistant of Dr. John Wright who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.