Mesopotamian Pottery Goddess Handle Fragment from a pottery jug, Ancient Iraq, Middle Bronze Age II, Sumer Mesopotamia, (Ancient Iraq) ca. 1800 - 1600 BCE. Figure with large eyes, sharp nose, full breasts, and dress incised in geometric patterns. 5"H x 4" W x 2" D. and in very good condition. Ex: Archaeological Center, Ltd. Old Jaffa. For example see Tell Asman And Khafaje, The First Season's Work in Eshnunna, 1930 - 1931, by Henri Frankfort, Thorkild Jacobsen, & Conrad Preusser. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, p. 99 Fig. 46. "...typical of the goddess found at Kish." Sumerian Kish:
The once-majestic city of Kish is today only ruins. It lies between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, about 8 miles (13 kilometers) east of the site of Babylon in what is now Iraq. Inscriptions in the ruins state that it was "the first city founded after the Flood." As the traditional first capital of the Sumerians, Kish was an early center of civilization (see Babylonia and Assyria). In ancient times, the area was fertile. The Sumerians settled along a bend of the Euphrates River. They built a fortified city, more than 5 miles (8 kilometers) long and almost 2 miles (3 kilometers) wide. Until as late as the time of King Sargon I (about 2300 BC), Kish dominated the Near East. Then it declined because the Euphrates changed its course. Finally it was abandoned, and desert sand covered its ruins. Archaeologists excavated the ruins between 1923 and 1933. Digging to virgin soil, 60 feet (18 meters) below the top of the mound, the expedition found remains of several cultures, from Neolithic times to the Christian Era. A band of alluvial soil about 40 feet (12 meters) below the surface indicated that Kish had been flooded in about 3200 BC. Many take this to be evidence of the great Biblical flood. Astounding also was the discovery, below the flood stratum, of a four-wheeled chariot, the earliest known wheeled vehicle. Other discoveries showing the highly developed Sumerian civilization were thick-walled temple towers, canals, and a library with some of the earliest known writing.