Roger Bradbury Antiques

Lithograph Eton College The cloisters Lupton’s Tower

Lithograph Eton College The cloisters Lupton’s Tower


browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Fine Art: Prints: Lithographs: Pre 1920: Item # 1246208
Roger Bradbury Antiques
View Seller Profile
Skeyton Lodge,
Skeyton
+44(0)1603737444

Guest Book

 £135 
£135.00

A nice hand coloured lithograph inscribed below CW Radclyffo del & lith, published by T Ingalton & Son Eton May 28th 1844 Day & Haghelith to the Queen He was born in the parish of Sedbergh, then in Yorkshire in the year 1456. He was at Kings College, Cambridgeshire. In 1483, he graduated as a Bachelor of Canon Law from the University of Cambridge and as a Doctor of Canon Law in 1504. Shortly after his graduation in 1483, he served in the Chancery Court, and went on to become Rector of Harlton, Cambridgeshire, and then a Canon of Windsor in 1500. He was elected a Fellow and then Provost of Eton College in February 1503/4, which post he retained until 1535. 1525 is the accepted date when Roger Lupton began to provide for a Chantry School in Sedbergh. A few scholars were gathered together under a Chaplain, one Henry Blomeyr. Lupton's intention was twofold: "for the maintaining and increase of learning in Christ's Church", and "for his soul's health"; an agreement was made that the Chaplain and Scholars should have free seats in the chancel of Sedbergh Church. In 1527, six Scholarships to St John’s College, Cambridge were established, to be awarded exclusively to boys from the School. A document held at St John's says that the Scholars were "to be chosen from the grammar scole of Sedbare, wher the sayd Roger Lupton was borne and hath foundyd a perpetuall chauntry and the sayd grammar scole indued sufficiently with lyvelode and lands truly and suerly purchased and manciones sufficiently bylded". After purchase of land and building of a school, almost certainly on the site of the present School Library, the foundation deed was signed, binding the School to St John's College, Cambridge, which was to have the appointment of its Headmasters. In 1535, two further scholarships to Cambridge were established, with provision for two Fellowships also. On his death, he was buried in the Lupton Chapel at Eton, which was named for a generous donation Lupton had made to the College. A bell tower and dormitory was also dedicated in his name, and the tower is perhaps the most famous building in the college. His death is commemorated each year at Eton on Threepenny Day. Size image only: 27.25cm by 23cm presently unframed