An absolutely fabulous Parke Davis veterinary medicine bottle.
The company notes that their tablets could treat numerous symptoms and conditions especially womens ills. It enjoys crossover appeal in that it is also a 1904 World's Fair souvenir and an advertisement for the drug company - what a wonderful giveaway!
The Antikamnia ("Opposed to Pain") Chemical Company of St. Louis, Missouri, produced medicines similar to aspirin and were famous for their very graphic calendars that were given to physicians as tokens for prescribing their products.
. Measuring 3.25"W x 4.75L", this cutie is in very nice condition. The image is clear with minor surface wear commensurate with its age.
The sign advertises the office of "James H. Groom. Dentist.", and remains in fine condition with deep-toned, original patina and with some very minor warping due to its many years of age. The lettering is actually impressed into the surface and is painted black. Any white marks appearing on the front of the sign are due only to light/sun reflection---the sign has a very even-toned coloration.
The sign has a hole at each corner to facilitate hanging, or it may be easily displayed upon a shelf!
A fabulous , rich-looking display piece with great "eye appeal"!
The 8.25 inch tall bottle is marked on the base “WN WALTON PAT. SEP 23 1862", and is of early blown glass construction. The fancy, recessed, applied label is complete and is in very nice condition. The stopper is of ground glass construction and is in very good order as well.
The inside of the bottle is clean. Very nice indeed!
The cover sports a wonderful image of a French gypsy benefiting from the inhalation of Williams curative powder.
The tin measures 4.5" L x 2.75" W x 1" H and is in very nice condition, most particularly the cover. Rarely found with original contents!
This tablet mold is a wonderful ONE GRAIN example of and early pharmacy "tool of the trade" and should not be missed by the novice or advanced collector. The mold is complete with the original box and in very nice condition except for minor surface wear that is commensurate with mild use and age. Also note that an unobtrusive dime size piece of the the label near the middle left portion of box is missing (unable to get an adequate picture). The box measures 6.5 inches long x 3 inches wide and shows mild wear. Don't miss this beauty! Dates from 1890 - 1900.
This lovely, late-Victorian-styled inhaler is primarily being sold for its original box. The box is complete and very detailed on all sides (including the top), sporting wonderful graphics and information on its many merits. The box measures 6.5" H x 4" W x 3.25" D and shows only mild wear and faint staining. Finding a complete box in this condition is quite uncommon.
The lamp is not complete and is minus its chimney and top medicinal pan.
The advertising says it all - great graphic and lung specific. The last patent date noted on the box is 1899, and the first patent date is stamped on the lamp as being Ag. (August) 4, 1885.
The condition of the empty bottle is undamaged and the label is very good.
Beautiful "Copper Lustre" paint accents a central yellow band with copper colored, feather detailing. Interior rim is painted in a pink lustre band.
Condition is quite fine with absence of any inflicted damage and repair. Some expected light wear from actual use to painted rim and base and a teeny firing imperfection on the handle that is not readily evident to the eye.
A darling piece to add to one's collection!
The Cudahy meat packing industry dates back to the turn of the century. The Cudahy meat industry, with stockyards in Omaha, Chicago, Sioux City and Los Angeles produced the REX brand of fine beef and pork products. They also produced lard, soaps and patent medicine products such as Cudahy's Essence of Pepsin and Cudahy's Rexsoma that used the animal byproducts. The patent medicines were marketed as nutritional supplements for improved health.
This 3.5 inch tall undamaged beauty is in very good condition and very classy indeed!
A terrific image on a lovely cup that can be easily displayed anywhere in your collection.
This specimen dates to circa 1900 and is most likely German in origin. The company, PETER VAN SCHAAK & SONS, of Chicago, Illinois, was the American supplier of this type leech jar in the 1890 - 1916 period.
A production number "8" is noted on the inside rim. The jar sports three knobs, or string ties, to secure the lid. Made of white porcelain, this quart-size beauty stands 7.5 inches high x 5.5 inches wide (inclusive of the knobs) and measures just over 4" in diameter.
The condition is excellent with minor wear to the black lettering commensurate with its age.
Medicinal bloodletting is one of the most ancient of medical practices dating back thousands of years, with historical evidence noting its use in ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece. Bloodletting was based on an ancient system of medicine in which blood and other bodily fluids were considered to be "humors", and the proper balance of these "humors" were what maintained health. The concept that bloodletting could restore the "humors" to their proper balance was widely accepted, and the application of leeches to the body was one method of bloodletting that was practiced. By the 19th century, the use of leeches in this practice had reached its zenith, and vessels such as the one offered here were used to store the leeches when not in use.
All but one bottle are re-purposed and sport "OTIS CLAPP & SON" embossing on one side. One bottle sports the original Otis Clapp & Son paper label (SEPIA). One bottle is round and not original to case.
Each Otis Clapp bottle measures over 2.5 inches high, having hand-written labels with instructions for use and corks with hand-written contents on top. One Otis Clapp bottle is amber colored; otherwise the bottles are clear.
The case measures 7" x 4.5" x 5" and is in very good condition with a functional front clasp. An early note has been affixed to the inner top to reflect contents, dose and antidote.
Very unusual indeed!
Some History from the Derby Connecticut Historical Society:
ALBERT W. PHILLIPS, M. D. was born at Marcellus, N. Y., July 26, 1838, his early education having been secured in the common schools of his native town.
He graduated from the Hannemann Homoepathic College, Chicago, Ill., in 1861.
At the commencement of the Rebellion, he enlisted as a private in the 12th Regiment, New York State Volunteers, but was later appointed hospital steward of the same regiment, and later received the appointment of assistant surgeon of the 149th Regiment New York Volunteers. He served until the close of the war, when he moved to Birmingham. He held the office of registrar of vital statistics, and also was an influential member of the Board of Burgess for several years. He was the only follower of the school "similia similibus curantur" in the town, and had a large and lucrative practice.
The condition is very good with the brass portion skillfully soldered and fabricated. The wood component is professionally constructed with minor, unobtrusive wood separation in the front right of the smaller sorter. These are the only examples of this form I have ever seen and thus, have been able to offer for sale.
The sorters measure 9 inches and seven inches long. Due to their interesting construction, they have great visual appeal and display quite well!
This hand blown, 12 inch tall bottle has a deep pontilled base and is in fine condition. The ground glass stopper has a few unobtrusive interior edge chips.
The label under glass (LUG) applied label is in very good condition, complete and some minor ‘crackling’ of the painted surface.
When viewing the glass label "in person", it is quite appealing and displays beautifully. Please note that the elongated, reddish mark seen on the label is a function of poor photography - it is only a reflection of another object in the room- and not a stain!