Studio Antiques and Fine Art, Incorporated
Welcome in. Browse Studio Antiques and Fine Art's period and antique furniture, fine art and decorative accessories. HOME
 
William Pierce Stubbs (American, 1842-1902)

browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Archives: Fine Art: Pre 1900: item # 11349

Please refer to our stock # 4884 when inquiring.

Click to view additional online
photographs:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5


STUDIO ANTIQUES & FINE ART, INC.
524 North Washington Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
703-548-5188

William Pierce Stubbs (American, 1842-1902)
SOLD

The Cassie F. Bronson Off the Coast

Oil-on-canvas, signed indistinctly
Painting Size: 27" x 44"
Frame Size: 34.5" x 51.5"

Born in Bucksport, Maine, the son of a shipmaster, Stubbs was a professional ship portraitist showing fairly straightforward broadside views of his subjects. By 1876 he was listed as a marine painter in the Boston city directory. He later had studios in East Boston and Charlestown where it is likely that Samuel Finley Morse Badger was his student. Following the deaths of his wife and daughter he sank into a deep depression and was committed first to the Worcester State Hospital and then to the Medfield State Hospital where he died in 1899. His works are held in the collection of the Peabody Museum of Salem, MA , the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, Connecticut and the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport, Maine.
Sources:
E.H.H.. Archibald, "Dictionary of Sea Painters"
E.R. Brewington, "Marine Paintings and Drawings in Mystic Seaport Museum"
Peter Falk, "Who Was Who in American Art, 1564-1975"

The painting depicts the vessel under full sail off the coast with flags flying from every mast and the American flag off the gaff. The vessel is identified on tailboards at the aft as well as on the rear banner.
The Cassie F. Bronson was a four-masted wooden schooner built in 1886 by the New England Ship Building Company in Bath, Maine. She was owned by her master, William Anderson and her home port was New York City. Her gross tonnage was 1124 and she was 193 feet in length. On September, 17, 1906, she was stranded on Cape Fear, N.C., and was renamed The Rhode Island. She was lost at sea on April 30, 1915.



Page design by TROCADERO © 1998-2014 View Cart
Categories Shops Join Terms Critique Map Help