An image of a Hakutaku by 418th head priest (former) of Daitokuji Chuho Sou. The scroll is 20 x 51 inches (51 x 130 cm) and is in original condition. It comes enclosed in an annotated wooden box. Judging by the calligraphy to the left the image was painted as a talisman to ward off evil.
Chuho Sou (1760-1838) was born in Kyoto, and studied Zen under the 416th master Sokan. His Buddhist name is Sou, and other names used by him are Chuho, Shogetsu, and Rakuyojin. He succeeded the temple in 1807 while servingas the 13th head of Hoshunin Temple. He later built the Tea House Shogetsuan in Hushunin. In 1836 he received the name Daikoshinsho Zen Shi from the Emperor Ninko.