This pendant is French, circa 1790. It is a dramatic design of flowerheads and branches ending with three articulating drops. The beautiful Strass glass stones are all hand set in silver crimped mounts. The term Strass is used to describe the leaded glass used to make these stones. Georges Frederic Strass was an 18th century Parisian jeweler who gained fame with his paste jewels. Early paste was never designed to mimic the real jewels, but was heralded as an exciting innovation. Early paste jewelry is appreciated and collected for its own special beauty.
The stones used are all foiled back to reflect light and have a black dot at the bottom. This dot was used in the finest paste jewelery and all the stones are original,clear and bright. The reverse is barrel shaped typical of the 18th century designs. All pin mounts are original and there are early French touchmarks for silver. The pendant is large, measuring 2 1/2 inches down x 2 inches across. It comes with a beautiful French silk pleated ribbon.
The design, condition and elegance make this irreplaceable.