Art Deco Lady Powder Jar from Fulper Pottery
Fulper Pottery made a series of beautiful and colorful powder jars in the 1920s. They varied from whimsical to demur, but all were lovely ladies. This art deco lady is wearing an oriental-influenced yellow hat and is holding a decorative floral fan. She shows a distinct Japanese influence, typical of art in the deco period.
The Fulper Pottery began way back in the early 1800s, making utilitarian wares in Flemington, New Jersey. At that time it was known as Hill Pottery, after founder Samuel Hill. The Fulper family did not get involved in the firm until Abram Fulper purchased the company in 1860. It continued to make stoneware items until the introduction of the Vasekraft line of art pottery in 1909. Martin Stangl joined William Fulper II, Abram's grandson, at the company in 1910.
During the 1920s, Fulper Pottery Company was owned and controlled by three men: William Fulper II, George K. Large and Martin Stangl. Following William Fulper’s untimely death in 1928, his widow Etta continued in his place, and maintained a controlling interest in the company until the mid-1940s. Martin Stangl was the creative leader in the company and in 1955 took over the company, renaming it Stangl Pottery Company.
While the Fulper/Stangl Pottery made some interesting pieces in the 1940s and later, the best pieces were from the 1910s through 1930s, when art pottery dominated the line. By the 1940s dinnerware was Fulper's primary product, joined in the fifties by figurines produced by Stangl. These powder jars from the 1920s, are among Fulpers most colorful art pottery items and remain highly collectible today.