This is a tilt-top game (or center) table designed and patented by George Hunzinger (1835-1898) in 1894. It features his patented hinge that allows the top to tilt and lock into place. Underside has a relatively new green leatherette top, and the decorative brass along the edge is not original. Animal claw feet. Medial shelf with Hunzinger metal label on underside. Top measures 30" across and table height is 28 5/8".
This important design was included in the show entitled "The Furniture of George Hunzinger: Invention and Innovation in Nineteenth-Century America", which ran at the Brooklyn Museum of Art in January-February of 1998. (The catalog, The Furniture of George Hunzinger, Invention and Innovation in Nineteenth Century America by Barry R. Harwood, was published by the Brooklyn Museum of Art in 1997. Hunzinger achieved numerous patents throughout his career and is known for incorporating mechanical innovations in his chairs and tables. His works are found in the permanent collections of many museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. This item resides on the upper west side of Manhattan in New York city and may be seen by appointment.