Heriberto Juárez was born in San Juan Teotihuacan, State of Mexico, and it was precisely there, land of pyramid builders and legendary sculptors, where he took his first lessons on artistic pottery, sculpture and drawing which helped him acquire the knowledge and skills he materializes in his work perform on chromium plated iron and tin, onyx, marble, bronze... The quality, strength, expressive ability and good taste found in his work have taken him through important galleries and museums around the world and have made him worthy of recognition as one of the prominent artists who have collaborated most different cultural fields in Mexico. In addition to the fertile production of sculptural pieces Juárez Castañeda's work includes drawing, construction of monuments and to a lease degree but with the same qualities, panting. In these regards, Berta Taracen, whose opinion is acknowledged in the artistic space says: "His historical-humanistic tendency, in agreement with the society it serves, does not resign to topical and futuristic categories, but enhances the message and content of perfect technics, considering that technology, in the widest sense of the word, is the central problem of this age and praxis of the actions of modern man; having as a result a Juárez who is characteristically a Mexican artist, who makes of his technics and craftsmanship part of the historical and spiritual order without rendering them obsolete". A highlighted part of his work and probably the most widespread is constituted by his pieces, in different materials, on bullfight subjects; magical and sometimes cryptical world which he deeply knows, due to his experience as a bullfighter while he was a young man. Along his already broad trajectory, Heriberto Juárez has been chosen to represent Mexican Art in shows, exhibitions and events of the highest world level. He has been granted scholarships to enrich his already vast knowledge of technics and artistic avant gard concepts. He has been selected to construct important monuments in the national and international ambits as well...
Price on Request
Inquire for Price
Ernest Garthwaite was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1940. He studied at Loras College in Iowa, receiving his Bachelor of Arts in 1961, and at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, receiving his Master of Arts in 1962. He subsequently studied in Europe (including in Italy, Germany, and France) and at the University of Wisconsin in 1964 and the Art Students' League of New York in 1966. Garthwaite's work is represented in over 75 collections, including the Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery, New Rochelle Public Library, Art Gallery of Windsor, Bank of Montreal, Concordia University (Montreal), Marymount College (New York), Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies (Banff), and York College of the City University of New York.
Biography, Rene Genis was a 20th century French painter renowned for his landscapes and still lifes and for his palette of very transparent blues and greens. Genis studied at the École des Beaux-Arts in Bordeaux, then at the École des Arts Decoratifs in Paris. Starting in 1959 he had numerous one-man exhibitions in Paris and New York. In the summer of 2002 he had a one-artist exhibition at Galerie 26 on the Place des Vosges, Paris. This still life by Genis entitled "L'Artichaut" was done in 1951 in Fauvist greens, yellows, reds and purples. His work can be seen in museums in Aix-en-Provence, Bordeaux, Lyon and at the Musée Municipal d'Art Moderne in Paris.
Inquire for Price
BiographyMaurice Braun (1877-1941). Painter. Maurice Braun was born in Nagy Bittse, Hungary on Oct. 1, 1877. Braun immigrated with his family to the U.S. in 1881 and settled in NYC. He began drawing at age three and in his early teens was apprenticed to a jeweler. In 1897 Maurice Braun began a five year study period at the NAD followed by one year with Wm M. Chase. He was an established portrait and figure painter in New York before moving to San Diego in 1910. After opening a studio on Point Loma, Maurice Braun founded the San Diego Academy of Art in 1912 and served as its director for many years. Braun remained in San Diego except for the years 1922-24 when he maintained a studio in Silvermine, CT. His Impressionist paintings of the Southwest desert, southern California hills, and High Sierra brought him great national acclaim. At the end of his career he specialized in still lifes of flowers and oriental objets d'art. An ardent follower of Theosophy, their teachings of the unity of nature and man is evident in his work. Maurice Braun died in San Diego on Nov. 7, 1941. Source: Edan Hughes:
A landscape painter and printmaker, he was born in San Francisco, California on July 29, 1884. Todhunter was a pupil of John Stanton and Arthur Mathews at the Mark Hopkins Institute, and Gottardo Piazzoni and Frank Van Sloun at the California School of Fine Arts, followed by study at the Art Students League in New York City. He began his career as an illustrator for Overland Monthly and later worked for the San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco Call, and Washington (DC) Times. He worked in New York as a commercial artist until 1912, when he returned to San Francisco to become art director for the H. K. McCann Company, a job he was to keep until his retirement in 1949. Todhunter's work includes etchings, lithographs, and landscapes of Marin County and the San Francisco Bay area. He died in his native city on February 11, 1963. Member: Bohemian Club; SWA; AAPL; Marin Society of Artists; SFAA; Calif. Society of Etchers. Exh: Bohemian Club, 1922-63; SFAA from 1922; OGlE, 1939; Society for Sanity in Art, 1940s.
Price on Request
Selden Connor Gile was an important member of the early northern California school of art, he was a founding member of the artist group that called themselves the Society of Six. He was born in Stow, Maine on March 20, 1877, and after attending business college in Maine, Gile moved to California in 1901. He was a payroll master in Lincoln and in Oakland after 1905 for Gladding McBean Company. His art studies were under Perham Nahl, Frank Van Sloun, Spencer Macky, William H. Clapp, and at the California College of Arts and Crafts. Prior to 1914, he painted in the manner of classical California landscape painters such as William Keith. After that time he assumed the palette and style of Impressionism-Fauvism, but remained an "individualist" in his mode of expressing the California scene. During the 1920s, he became the dominant figure in a group of painters known as the Society of Six. The Six were active in the San Francisco Bay area and exhibited regularly at the Oakland Art Gallery. In 1927 Gile moved across the Golden Gate to Tiburon and, shortly thereafter, to a houseboat in Belvedere. He died in San Rafael, California on June 8, 1947.
Born in Denver, CO on Aug. 7, 1897, Curtis was a resident of Seattle before moving to Los Angeles in 1914. He was inspired to become an artist by his teacher Rob Wagner at Manual Arts High School. After working as a bank teller and serving in WWI, he soon was able to support himself as an illustrator. He served as official artist of the U.S. Antarctica Expedition in 1939-40 and again in 1957. About 1960 he changed his residence from Los Angeles to Twenty Nine Palms, California, with summers in Moose, Wyoming. An avid mountain climber, his studio in the Grand Tetons was a rustic log cabin. In 1972 he moved to Carson City, Nevada, where he remained until his demise on March 17, 1989. He is best known for his landscapes of the High Sierra, Grand Tetons, and Antarctica. His works won dozens of medals and prizes from the early 1920s in southern California shows. Member: Carmel Art Association; Artland Club. Exh: California Art Club, 1923-27; Laguna Beach Art Association, 1924; California State Fair, 1926; Cannell & Chaffin Gallery (Los Angeles), 1926; Ebell Club (Los Angeles), 1926; Painters & Sculptors of Los Angeles, 1926-31; National Academy of Design, 1930; Toledo Museum, 1931; American Painters & Sculptors, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1931, 1937 (solo), 1946 (solo); Oakland Art Gallery, 1932; Tuesday Afternoon Club (Glendale), 1934; Golden Gate International Exhibition, 1939; California Palace Legion of