A CANAANITE OIL LAMP FROM THE HOLY LAND
Please refer to our stock # L.55 when inquiring.
Middle Bronze Age IIA; c. 2000-1730 BCE
This wheel made four spouted lamp sits on a flat, raised base with each of the spouts serving as a place for a wick. Lamps of this type were in use in the Holy Land since the Early Bronze Age and began to be wheel made in the Middle Bronze. Made during the MBII period this lamp is one of the last survivals of its type before being replaced entirely by the single spouted lamp of the Late Bronze and Iron Ages.
In excellent and original condition.
12.75 x 12.25 cm (5.01 x 4.82 inches)
Worldwide Shipping and Certificate of Authenticity Included in Price
Export Approval from the Israel Antiquities Authority
Ruth Amiran, “Ancient Pottery of the Holy Land”, p. 190, pl. 59