A HERODIAN TERRACOTTA OIL LAMP AND ALABASTRON


browse these categories for related items...
Directory: Antiques: Regional Art: Ancient World: Holy Land: Pottery: Pre AD 1000: Item # 803084

Please refer to our stock # P.935+L.192 when inquiring.
Biblical Artifacts
View Seller Profile
at The Inbal Hotel, Liberty Bell Park, 3 Jabotinsky Street
P. O. Box 14646, Jerusalem 9114601, Israel
tel. 972 2 583 7606

Guest Book
 SOLD 
c. 37 B.C. -70 A.D.

Wheel made oil lamp made of circular body with raised rim around filling hole and volute nozzle. Alabastron (ancient perfume bottle)wheel made using pale clay. Found in Jerusalem. Both in very good and original condition.

Lamp: 2.76 x 2.4 inches (7 x 6 cm)

Alabastron: 4.72 x .79 inches (12 x 2 cm)

Custom Lucite stand, worldwide shipping and Certificate of Authenticity included in price.

Export Approval from Israel Antiquities Authority.

A COPY OF “HOLY LAND POTTERY AT THE TIME OF JESUS” BY STANISLAO LOFFREDA INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE

Bibliography:

Stanislao Loffreda, “Holy land Pottery At the Time of Jesus: Early Roman Period (63 B.C.-70 A.D.)”, (Jerusalem: 2003).

Noam Adler, “A Comprehensive Catalog of Oil Lamps of the Holy Land from the Adler Collection”, (Old City Press: Israel, 2004).

**********

Known as Herodian because of its widespread use during the reign of Herod the Great in Israel (circa 37 BC to 4 BC), this lamp was wheel made with the spout applied by hand. Thus, every Herodian lamp is slightly different. The type remained in use up to about AD 150 in some parts of the Holy Land, but is normally considered to have gone out of general use by AD 70. Although mainly confined to the Jerusalem area, they have also been found at Herodian, Masada, and other Jewish settlements in the region.