Blue and White punch bowl att. to Herculaneum of Liverpool
Please refer to our stock # 4401 when inquiring.
Decorated with an underglaze blue and white chinoiserie pattern, this earthenware punch bowl has been attributed to the Herculaneum factory of Liverpool. The unusual and strikingly deep border is printed inside and out and measures roughly 65 mm, or 2.5 inches. Plate 148 in Alan Smith's "The Illustrated Guide to Liverpool Herculaneum Pottery 1796 - 1840" shows a very similar border on a punch bowl. It has been noted that the central pattern was used by the partnership of William and John Turner (1792-1803). Perhaps the plates were bought by Herculaneum after the closure of the Turner works. This bowl stands 103 mm (4 1/8 inches) high, and has a diameter of 262 mm (10.25 inches). There are a few tiny chips to the rim and other slight signs of wear that it has accumulated over the last 220 or so years, but overall it is in very good condition. C 1810.