This Tunbridge Ware jewelry box has a very finely detailed mosaic depiction of Penshurst Place, Kent on its slightly domed lid. The main decoration is surrounded by a mosaic border of roses, whilst on the slightly waisted body there is a band of oak leaves, also in mosaic. This design has been attributed to Henry Hollamby in around 1850. Inside it has retained its original crimson silk lining and also its original key. The box measures 252 mm (9 7/8ths inches) in width, 155 mm (6 1/8th inches) in depth and it stands 83 mm (3 1/4 inches) high. It appears to have been repolished at some stage and there is a small area on the front where the mosaic veneer has been lost. Built in 1341 Penshurst Place had had several owners including Henry XIII and Edward VI before being given to the current owners family in 1552. The box dates from around 1870.