This very pretty painted and gilded parian jug or ewer, is decorated with hand painted ribbons, swags of jewelled and highlighted flowers and strings of jewelled pearls. In the centre is a rural scene, printed in gold and encircled by a cartouche of hand painted flowers. The neck of the jug is decorated with a gilded tracery collar and coloured in a delicate green, which was also used to colour the foot. It stands 285 mm (11.25 inches) high, has a diameter of 197 mm (7.75 inches) and is in very good condition, with all the pearls intact. Impressed into the footrim is what appears to be a shape number, which is unreadable due to the glaze. Otherwise it is unmarked, probably European and dates from around 1900.