The finely painted landscape is of a forest with trees and blue skies by William Henry Howe (1846-1929) and was painted in 1906. Howe painted it for his friend, in the right hand corner is the inscription. The artist signature is in the left-hand corner. It is in a beautiful gilt frame.
William Henry Howe was born in Ravenna, Ohio, and was a student of Otto de Thoren and Vuillefroy, and worked in Paris, where he painted rural scenery of Normandy. He was a American painter and was active in Bronxville. Howe received many awards, notably a third-class medal at the Paris Salon in 1888, at Atlanta in 1895 and a silver medal at Buffalo in 1901.
He was elected a member of the National Academy in 1897 and made a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1899. Howe was part of the art colony centered at Florence Griswold's boardinghouse in Old Lyme, Connecticut. Size: 17 ½” x 23 ½” (frame 36” x 30”)