Henri Laurens, Paris, 1885-1954.These 4 pieces are Cubiste Head ink on paper signed LR. They are 22.8cm by 18.5cm (9" by 7.3". The son of a workman, Laurens trained at an early age in a decoration studio, where he modeled period-style ornaments and drew architectural designs. Afterwards Henri Laurens worked on building sites and scaffolding, where he learnt the hands-on side of hewing stone. He also regularly attended the popular evening classes in drawing taught by "Papa Perrin," who instilled in his pupils a serious attitude to craftsmanship.
Laurens' first sculptures were influenced by Auguste Rodin until he met Georges Braque in 1911. After encountering Cubism*, Henri Laurens began to translate the ideas of Analytical Cubism into sculpture, polychrome bas-relief* and collages*. Picasso, who liked what Laurens was doing, introduced the fledgling sculptor to Léonce Rosenberg, who was so enthusiastic about Laurens' work that he bought some of it and supported Laurens throughout the war years.
A number of terracotta* and stone reliefs Henri Laurens did not long after the war reveal the influence of Jacques Lipchitz and African sculpture. By then repudiating Cubist geometric forms, Henri Laurens again approached nature, developing an organic, curvilinear style in which he produced highly abstract, rhythmic figures - usually female nudes - that were poetic and powerful.
In numerous works Henri Laurens took up themes from Greco-Roman mythology and reinterpreted them. In 1944 Henri Laurens started producing designs for La Grande Sirène, and in 1953 he did Amphion, a bronze sculpture over four meters high commissioned by the university city of Caracas, Venezuela. Henri Laurens worked over each piece individually to ensure fullness and substance.
Henri Laurens was awarded the Grand Prix for sculpture at the São Paolo Biennial* in 1953. Apart from sculpture, Laurens' legacy comprises a copious graphic œuvre: woodcuts, etchings and book illustrations.
Henri Laurens died in Paris on 5 May 1954.