Original oil painting on canvas by Jean Hippolyte Marchand (French, 1882-1941), circa 1925. This painting is signed lower left "JHMarchand". It still bears remnants of a couple of gallery labels, at least one of them from the Kalman (Crane Kalman) gallery when it was still in Manchester (The Crane Kalman Gallery was established in Manchester, and is currently located in London). Also inscribed "KALMAN" verso. 18" by 28" (painting alone), 26" by 36" in its original frame.
Jean Hippolyte Marchand is an important French painter who embraced Cubism early, and is known for his association with the Bloomsbury Group (his earliest English exhibitions took place in the teens in London at the Carfax Gallery). The Kalman gallery exhibited works from Marchand's estate a number of times in the sixties. His work is in the collections of the Musee d'Art Moderne in Paris, the Tate Gallery, the Courtauld collection, the Musee du Luxembourg, the Albertina in Vienna etc.