This difficult to find tool-of-the trade pharmacy “IDEAL CAPSULE FILLER” was used by early 20th century druggists to enhance their capsule production. The patent date is stamped Oct. 31, 1905, and research indicates that it was produced by the "Baltimore Capsule Co."
The machine produces 2 different size capsules and has a filling plate that sports 4 parallel rows, each having the capacity of making 24 capsules. Also included are 2 capsule filling trays.
The condition of this wonderful apothecary tool of the trade is very good, complete with the warm, rich patina one would expect of an antique of this age including the usual scratches, marks and unobtrusive dings and tarnish. (Two top wood edges have been lost due to use, time and age as seen in the photos.) The metal parts appear to be nickel plated, and the wood base looks like walnut. The filler measures approximately 13”L x 4.5”W x 4.5” H.
The interior contains sand that was used to add weight and stabilize the box when in use.
A must addition for any pharmacy/apothecary collection!