Brass-Mounted Gonçalo Alves Collectors Cabinet
Workshop of George Bullock, circa 1815.
Having a moulded cornice above a central recessed section with shelves flanked to each side by rows of small drawers behind scrolling grille-inset doors with columnar uprights; the conforming base with four paneled doors, two with columnar uprights and raised on a platform base.
The inverted breakfront cabinet design in the French/Grecian manner was introduced by George Bullock in the early 19th century. This cabinet incorporates a number of elements characteristic to known Bullock examples, such as the double-heart shaped brass grills and the use of the exotic gonçalo alves timber (similar to rosewood), both found on a pair of bookcases after a design for the breakfast room of the exiled Emperor Napoleon's residence at New Longwood House on St. Helena (See: Wainwright, George Bullock, Cabinet-Maker, p. 102, pl. 39.).