Clark Marshall (American, 1862-1944)
Oil on canvas, signed lower right
Painting size: 14.5” x 22.5”
Frame size: 19” x 27”
A native of Talbot County on Maryland's Eastern Shore, Marshall became a highly regarded landscapist, painting mainly in the impressionist manner. Solo exhibitions of his work were held at the Peabody Institute and at The Baltimore Museum of Art. A student at the Corcoran School of Art in Washington, he later exhibited at the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Around 1918, Marshall turned to the ministry with charges in Cecil and Caroline Counties as well as in Delaware. Throughout the latter part of his life, he continued to paint, favoring evening and moonlight views of his native Eastern Shore.
The exhibition catalog:
“Maryland Artists from the Collection,1890-1970”
The Baltimore Museum of Art, 2002
** For other artwork by artists from Maryland, Virginia or Washington DC, type “local” into the search box.