Rare Alexandria Virginia Stoneware Two Gallon Jug from the merchant E.J. Miller (who had a shop on lower King Street) decorated with the numeral “2” flanked by turkey tracks and wavy lines above and below and a stencil reading : E.J. MILLER & SON, DEALERS IN ,CHINA AND, GLASS WARE, ALEXANDRIA VA.”
Circa 1875 (two kiln kisses)
After the demise of the Alexandria Potteries after the Civil War a large manufactory in Pennsylvania, James Hamilton (later Williams and Reppert) of Greensboro, supplied stoneware to Alexandria merchant E. J. Miller. The Greensboro potters made stoneware with stenciled decoration and advertising for many stores throughout the Northeast. Stoneware from this Pennsylvania pottery can be distinguished from the work of the Alexandria potters in two ways: Miller’s name is stenciled in blue cobalt, rather than stamped into the clay; and a brown Albany slip coats the interior of the Greensboro pieces.