John Chapman Lewis (Am. 1920-1995)
Oil on masonite, signed and titled on the reverse
Frame: 23" x 33"
Lewis was a prominent member of the "The Washington Color School" (early 60's), so named after the New York School, in turn derived from L'Ecole de Paris. The Washington School dealt with the importance and the identifiable nature of color with such artists as Kenneth Noland and Mark Rothko leading the way.
Lewis' qualifications and accomplishments are numerous He was a former teacher at The Corcoran School of Art, and professor and Resident Artist at Marymount University. Lewis's work has been included in six of the Corcoran's Biennials. His last major showing of work was at The Phillips Collection in 1973, and at The White House in an exhibition, "American Paintings from The Phillips Collection
SELECTED EXHIBITS AND COLLECTIONS:
BALTIMORE MUSEUM OF ART
CORCORAN SCHOOL OF ART, WASHINGTON, D.C.
HIGH MUSEUM OF ART, ATLANTA
METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART (AMERICAN PAINTINGS 1950)
MUSEO ARTE CONTEMPORANEA, NAPOLI, ITALY
NATIONAL ART ACADEMY, WASHINGTON
PENNSYLVANIA ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS
SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM
STATE ART GALLERY, RALEIGH, N.C.
THE ART ASSOCIATION OF NEW ORLEANS
THE PHILLIPS COLLECTION
WILLMINGTON MUSEUM OF ART, DE
**Please Note: This item is not currently on view in our gallery. Please call at least 48 hours in advance if you wish to see it.
**For other mid-20th Century artwork in our inventory, type “modern” into the search box.