Attributed to Henry Ward Ranger
Oil on canvas.
Painting size: 15” x 18”
Frame size: 23.75” x 26.75”
A leading “Tonalist” painter in the United States, Ranger honed his skills with the French Barbizon School, and the Dutch Hague School in the 1890s. Very much inspired by what he learned abroad, he returned to the United States and helped establish an artists’ colony in Old Lyme, Connecticut around 1900. According to David Sellin, “Ranger deserves special credit for giving the original impetus to the ‘American Barbizon’ colony in Old Lyme. His specialty was forest interiors in which one is led in quiet stages back into the woods or down a winding stream.”
Ranger remained a prominent lecturer and active member of America’s art community until his death in 1916. Leaving his entire estate to the National Academy of Design, he established the “Ranger Fund” to purchase valuable works of art for U.S. museums.
Benezit, E. "Dictionnaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs"
Falk, Peter, ed. "Who Was Who in American Art 1564-1975"
Sellin, David. "American Art in the Barbizon Mood"