French, 19th century, Samson. The crossed “S” marks on the interior lid of this nineteenth-century snuff box indicates that this was, in fact, a product of the Samson factory. Edmé Samson founded the House of Samson in 1845 to decorate porcelain. However, it was Edmé’s son, Emile, who expanded the firm to include the reproduction of eighteenth-century English enamels. In addition, the later attribution is confirmed by the milled metal banding, the lug on the hinge, and the inferior quality of the pink enamel.
Loss enamel on the bottom, slight damage to metal.
Source: Susan Benjamin. English Enamel Boxes.(1976).