A small sized kiri or paulownia wood tansu with iron decorative fittings and locks surrounding the drawers and the sides of the tansu. The locks are decorated with motifs in the form of a plant and curved features for the side fittings. The bottom of all the drawers contain an inscription of which drawer goes where and the name of the previous owner. The top drawer, which has the most inscriptions, states that the tansu was acquired on November 23, 24th year of Meiji (1891) in the town of Mitsuke. The tansu is owned by Fujiya Kintaro who lived in the village of Nagahori. Both locations are found in central Niigata Prefecture. Age: Meiji Period Size: Height: 23.5" Width: 11.75" Length: 22.75"